A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Divorce, separation & custody

  • AKHA
  • AKHA's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
10 Apr 22 #519137 by AKHA
Topic started by AKHA
Hi, I am considering divorcing my wife but know very little about what it entails in terms of legality and admissibility of a marriage that took place abroad and was never registered in UK. Also given that the spouse (and the kids) are not present in the UK.

As, I am new to this please forgive me for asking questions that you may find to be pretty straight forward. I have the following questions if someone could kindly give some guidance will be highly appreciated.

1. If a marriage took place outside the UK and the marriage never got registered in the UK then is UK law admissible to such a marriage with regards to divorce, separation and child custody?

2. Can the spouse sitting outside the UK initiate divorce, separation and child custody proceedings?

3. What is the position regarding splitting of the financial assets mainly the matrimonial house which I am paying mortgage on given that the spouse is already being housed abroad by her parents and who is now earning? Are the financial assets of my spouse sitting abroad also brought into consideration (ie what she is going to inherit or already has inherited from her parents) regardless of where the assets are based (abroad or in the UK)?

4. If I were to sell the matrimonial house and move abroad would I still be bound to split my financial assets?


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11