A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

advice needed....please

  • biker_chick
  • biker_chick's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Oct 07 #5205 by biker_chick
Topic started by biker_chick

i got married in january 2006 and in may this year i moved out. i have been living on my own ever since, my husband has moved in with a woman.
i was so sad while i was married, we argued constantly, he always talked bad about my friends and about my country ( i am not english). I want to get a divorce, but i can't even afford the £300 fee, and he will not pay it, as he said he is in no rush of getting a divorce. but i am only 23 and i want out... i have cried enough, i am alone in this country and i just want a fresh start. at the end, we slept in separate rooms, had no closness for over 6 months and i just could not cope with the arguments and the loneliness any more.
i dont even know where to start, i mean i got the form to fill in, but as we got married in another country i dont konow what papers i need. do i need more copies of my marriage cert, as i have only one for which i had to go home and get a copy, because my husband lost the original. i cant afford to go and get more copies, i cant afford the £300 fee, i cant afford anything as i am a student as well and pay for my courses.
i dont know if anyone knows if i can get away without paying the court fee, as i just want to get started with it. if i try to talk to him he swears at me and leaves me terrible meaasges calling me names. i just don't konw what to do.
we have no children, dont own a house, i just took some clothes and left. i did not ask for anything, as he would not even give me my hamster.
what is the easyest way? and can i divorce on unresonable behaviour grounds?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Oct 07 #5206 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11
Hi there

Are you on any kind of benefits because iff you are im sure its free for a divorce if you do it yourself with getting the papers from court ect

Kind ones

  • biker_chick
  • biker_chick's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Oct 07 #5207 by biker_chick
Reply from biker_chick
i'm on no benefits, i have never claimed anything, i work. but i am on a low income.

  • Guru
  • Guru's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 Oct 07 #5211 by Guru
Reply from Guru
Contact you local citizen advice buro (number in the phone book) and speak to them. They will most likely ask you to visit them and they should be able to answer all you questions and advise on legal aid etc.
Good Luck, stay strong.

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Oct 07 #5217 by gone1
Reply from gone1
I am not sure that you can get divorced here if you got married in another country. I dont know. Ask the CAB they will know. If I was you I would just go home and forget the divorce. He will do it to you one day and in the meantime you could get on with your life. I feel sorry for you becuase you are in a strange country and you have the dirty done on you. Keep your chin up this will all be sorted one day. All the best Chris.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Oct 07 #5231 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
The residency requirements for divorcing in the UK have been fulfilled so you can divorce here using UB citing verbal abuse, arguments etc.You may ask the officers in the court for help relating to the process, but they can't give you legal advice.

Alternatively perhaps you should tell your husband you will wait and make a financial claim against him later in the hope he might petition you. :evil:

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.