A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • 330630
  • 330630's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
30 Oct 07 #5512 by 330630
Topic started by 330630
my husband has told me he wants a seperation, I have 2 children aged 15 and 9. can he seperate my children from me ?

  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
30 Oct 07 #5520 by Sera
Reply from Sera
Hi welcome,

There's lots of related issues in the 'Child support/Contact' thread on this forum.

Usually children past a certain age (I think it's ten???) have a say in their parenting.

Your husband cannot seperate you from your kids. They will probably stay with whichever parent is the main carer. That does not deny the rights of the other parent.

Do the kids a favour. Be civil! Don't diss each other to them, don't deny the others' importance as a parent.

Welcoem to the wonderful world of Co-Parenting. / Shared residence, whatever it's now called!? My son's now 18, so I'm a bit out of touch. Lots of posts in the other thread to follow.
Good luck

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Oct 07 #5547 by gone1
Reply from gone1
Hiya. A agree with Sera. And he cant seperate you from your children. No one can do that and if they try its bound to fail. As Sera says at this age its upto them and dont try and engage them.

Only thing I can add is that divorcing people use kids as battering rams. Not a good idea to do this. Keep them out of it and dont rubish the other half in front and all will go as it will. Chris.

  • tiesys
  • tiesys's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
31 Oct 07 #5572 by tiesys
Reply from tiesys
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the fact is that people will do anything they want.

My wife took my two daughters (then 8, 9), a year ago and left our son (13) with me totaly against my wishes; I begged her not to split my children up and she walked all over me.

I religously kept in contact with the girls (phoned them three times a day and saw them whenever she would let me) -whilst she distanced herself from our son.

When I found out about her affair (in July), she stopped all contact between me and the girls and tried to get a non mol order (she failed but we took out cross undertakings).

I still encourage my lad to phone/ go see her but she will not let me speak to the girls or let them speak to me.

I am now having to involve the courts to try and get access.

I guess that eventually she will have to let me see them but the point I am making is that people can split your kids up and they can stop you seeing them - even though it may be a short lived thing.

They probably do it as part of their "coming to terms with their own guilt" phase.

Hope that helps


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.