A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Ex husband to be has passports...

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Jun 07 #611 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Dear Wendb69

I think that your concern about your (ex) husband having the passports is the fear that he might remove the children out of the jurisdiction - child abduction, if you like to call it that, a subject which unfortunately is very topical.

I don't get any ' feel ' from you as to whether this is a real possibility or whether you are just worried that having the passports in his possession would make it much easier to remove the children out of the country if he decided to try it on in future. If you think this is a real possibility, as opposed to a theoretical concern, then prompt action is essential. I would still advise going to a charity because, even if you need legal advice ( as you may well do ) they will have contacts with solicitors who specialise in this field, and let's face it, there aren't too many - your average high street solicitor could spend a lifetime without encountering it.

My worry about trying to get new passports by claiming the originals were lost goes something like this. Supposing you get your new passports. Your ex would still have the originals, so you have two passports for the same child. If he tried to take the kids abroad, he has an authentic passport which he could present, and how would the clerk know that replacements had been issued ?

I'm afraid, ma'am, that this is a very specialised field and I think a charity dealing specifically with this issue of child abduction is your first port of call.

Good luck anyway, Mike

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.