A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

International Issues

  • JulieSam
  • JulieSam's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
01 Nov 07 #5669 by JulieSam
Topic started by JulieSam
Hi I'm new here, just registered yesterday ad made a post under solicitors which many have seen but no one has commented on, I'd just like to ask... Are all the applicants and respondents on this forum in the UK? Is there anyone with any experience of divorce where the respondent has left the country and there's no contact apart from the occasional emailed death threat?

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Nov 07 #5905 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut

Yes the vast majority of current wikivorce members are UK based..although it looks like we will soon be joined by the Aussies and the Yanks!!

In your case if your marriage, married life and you are all UK based then the case can proceed as normal through UK courts even if he is out of the country.

Making sure he receives notice of the application and acknowledges it is made a little trickier..but it can be done.

Once he has acknowledge the application then the process will pretty much drive on and its up to him whether he bothers to attend certain hearings or not. If he doesnt then things will go against him.

  • JulieSam
  • JulieSam's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Nov 07 #5985 by JulieSam
Reply from JulieSam
Just an update :)

I've been to see my solicitor who told me that given the fact that my x2b has moved and made himself unavailable, I have a good case for getting a court order to 'dispense with serving the papers'. I have to prove I have made serious attempts to contact my x. I just happened to mention that i knew for a fact that my x had seen the petition cos he rang me with a load of abuse after he received it, saying it was a pack of lies (he's one of thoses people who is never to blame). My solicitor told me i can swear an affit davit and the judge should accept that. I had been feeling really down thinking my divorce was never going to move forward. I read through some of my ex's old emails just on the offchance that he had mentioned anything about the petition and he has :lol:so now I have evidence that he has seen the petition. I'm thinking of sending him a noose for xmas so he can finish hanging himself properly :silly:

Here's to an ecstatically happy new year :woohoo:

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.