A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Nov 07 #6362 by scottishlady
Topic started by scottishlady
Since my STBX left 3ish months ago, I've been very 'careful' with money...had to be, since he hasn't 'offered' any support financially...
I work two part time jobs... so, managing to keep the wolf from the door (just)..
Now... as we are beginning to deal with finances.. and we have to supply bank statements etc... I have a problem...
My daughter wants me to purchase tickets for a concert.. these tickets will cost approx £350...I will need to pay for them with my debit or credit card...
Will this be 'frowned upon'???
I'm concerned that a court/judge will think I'm being frivolous with money...
Thanks for any thoughts..

  • Marshy_
  • Marshy_'s Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Nov 07 #6364 by Marshy_
Reply from Marshy_
Hi Scottish lady. I dont this is frivolous at all. I think you are allowed to spend money on your family. If you spent the same money on say hair exensions that will be another matter. F.

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Nov 07 #6384 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
Hi scottishlady
point one the children are entitled to continue their lifestyle so concert tickets not frivilous
I have 80k personal debt due to deprivation from funds during marriage, I too am now answerable for these debts and have provided as much evidence to show that nothing extravagant, been on house kids etc... not designer this that and the other.
I entered the marrage debt free and intend to leave it that way...fingers crossed... your working hard to supoert your family as did i and men seem to deem it responsible to withhold money that needed for kids.
with much respect for you

  • Puzzled01
  • Puzzled01's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
11 Nov 07 #6393 by Puzzled01
Reply from Puzzled01
Hi Scottish Lady
Also sorting out finances for my divorce as I write, and although I don't have any children I am also finding finances tough. However the first thing (almost) I did when he left me was to book into a spa hotel for 2 days just to stop myself from crying all the time. I think any judge would agree that you have to find a little joy for your daughter and yourself. He sounds like a rotter!

Very best wishes

  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Nov 07 #6412 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11

Forget it, £350? Its piffling to this divorce law! I mean come on its just over an hours worth of a divorce lawyers time!
It says on form E "have you any valuables worth over £500, if so list them here! So I guess the £500 mark is all they are interested in!
As for providing the statements showing this, all that will happen is his solicitor (if he manages to find it and my bet is he wont, I mean could you be arsed going through twelve months statements asking where this penny went and that penny?) all he will do IF he points it out is ask what the transaction is for? So you reply Daughters concert tickets! AND THAT WILL BE THE END OF IT! HONEST!
No Judge will even question it at all! They are NOT interested!
So feel free to "help" your kids out, he should be helping them out too anyway! (stoooooooooooooopid man!)

Kind ones

  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
11 Nov 07 #6415 by Sera
Reply from Sera
scottishlady wrote:

I've been very 'careful' with money...

It's great that you're being careful. However! Warning! When he does get ordered to pay spousal support (assuming he would; by what you'd said in the past) He could look at your current spending (frugral!) and state that's all you 'need'.

On what ever claim; you should budget for how things were prior to him leaving.

Once the divorce is in process; you can get an Order for 'Maintenance Pending Suit' If things are tough, your sol should have advised that. :dry:

And yeah! Let the kid have some fun!

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Nov 07 #6425 by scottishlady
Reply from scottishlady
Thankyou all very much for your thoughts....
Two tickets have now been bought and paid for... so my daughter can go see Celine Dion in concert next year...
Sera... thankyou for your wise words.... although I am being 'careful' with money... it is because I need to make sure I can pay any bills, and buy food etc....
I really don't want to get into arrears with utility bills etc... but, I take on board what you say..
Lol... now I'm 'concerned' that my economising is going to backfire on me... but what is one supposed to do???

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.