A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can someone explain what will happen about housing

  • townie
  • townie's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 Nov 07 #6714 by townie
Topic started by townie
My s2bx moved out 7 weeks ago. We have a mortgage together.At the moment he is paying the mortgage on his own.I am on benefits and haven't worked since we moved here 10 years ago due to ill health.Prior to that we had a flat and I was given £18,000 to put down to buy the flat which we took with us when we bought where we are now.How much of the house will be mine after divorce does anyone know? How can I get my housing costs paid by income support?He is wanting me to sell and is willing to give me 60/40 would this be right?I am thinkinga new start would be good, but would need more than this to buy somewhere outright.As my health is bad I cannot work so wouldn't get a mortgage.the stress of the whole thing is making my health worse which doesn't help.

  • TMax
  • TMax's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Nov 07 #6731 by TMax
Reply from TMax
From my own experiance the answer is you cant :-(they will pay interest only after 40 weeks, of course untill this time the people who gave you the mortgage have taken you to court anyway and from what happend to me are not interested in why you cant pay it just that you owe it, you then go back to the idiots who gve you the loan in the fitst place see if they will play ball they wont and they reposes, luckily I had a very small windfall from the magic balls that allowed me to pay what I owed in debt to the mortgage and vowed that they will never do that to me again wrote them a very ugly letter and what response did I get heheh they refunded me part of the payments due to an error on thier side but wouild give me the court costs back, so if your with that ******* group of halifax called Birmingham Midshires forget sympathy.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.