A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Any Thoughts Please

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Nov 07 #7059 by scottishlady
Topic started by scottishlady
This isn't technically divorce question... but any thoughts would be appreciated...
I received a letter from my sol today... amongst other things it said that my STBX had applied for a new drivers licence (seems he lost his old one)... it says he had been told by the DVLA that it could only be sent to the former matrimonial home....so - would I forward it to her when it arrives so she can then forward it to his sol...
Now... it seems to me that he could have it sent to him at his current address....

Thanks for any thoughts

  • OO Soul
  • OO Soul's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Nov 07 #7061 by OO Soul
Reply from OO Soul
I thought it was a requirement to have your correct address on your driving licence and could be fined if found to be incorrect

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Nov 07 #7064 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut
I have some knowledge of this as it happened to me.

I now live in france, i need to trade my UK licence for a french one but lost my UK one some years ago.

I tried to get a new copy sent to me by DVLA but they would only send it to the address on the licence which is my former marital home.

They sent it and my wife refused to send it on to me.

So for last 2 years i have been driving in France without licence cos I cannot get a copy of my UK licence to trade for a French one.

One day this will cause me a problem, but for now i just get on without one. (IN france police can request to see your licence if they stop you and you must have it one you).

I actually did this process twice....so my ex wife has 2 copies of my driving licence hostage.

From memory there is a longer more expensive form/process where they will send it to a new address (didnt help me cos they still will not send to outside UK) - but there standard cheap online replacement service will only send copy of licence to address currently on the licence.

  • ariesgirl63
  • ariesgirl63's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
19 Nov 07 #7073 by ariesgirl63
Reply from ariesgirl63
Just a thought, but surely he could set up a 'redirection of post' with the post office to ensure that any items of post in his name get automatically forwarded on to his new address! I wouldn't want to be having to foward items on or having him call round to collect them.

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Nov 07 #7075 by scottishlady
Reply from scottishlady
Thankyou all for your replies..... it helps a great deal...
OO...Yes... I believe you are correct... it is a legal requirement to have a current address on your drivers licence....lol... he may have been too busy with his 'new lady' to address such trivialities:angry:
DBNO....Thankyou... that information sheds a lot more light on the reasons behind the 'request'...
Ariesgirl... this is a question I have asked myself umpteen times since he left.... why doesn't he redirect his mail??...It's a mystery

  • TMax
  • TMax's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Nov 07 #7076 by TMax
Reply from TMax
I would return it to dvla adresses unkown :-)due to leaving MH any info appreciated heheh

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Nov 07 #7079 by scottishlady
Reply from scottishlady
Lol.... excellent suggestion Max x

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.