A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Access to Marital Home

  • Mike8210
  • Mike8210's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
11 Jun 07 #714 by Mike8210
Topic started by Mike8210
My wife and I separated in January and she is still living in the former marital home. Because of the circumstances of our separation I do not have keys to the house. I have asked my wife now on several occasions to allow me to access the house so I can collect various belongings (just sentimental stuff from my parents etc) and she just hurls verbal abuse at me. I am quite prepared to go there with a mutual friend present or while she is out, whichever way suits her.

How do I gain access to the house in a legal way if she wont let me go in by leaving me a key? I have petitioned for a divorce by the way but there are things I would rather have sooner than later.

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jun 07 #715 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut

At first this might sound it bit over the top - but its actually very practical and 'safe' for all.

An option is to go to local police station and ask them to accompany you to the house at a time when you know she will be in.

You have the right to enter - and they have a good chance of persuading her to let you in and get your stuff while at the same time ensuring no-one gets aggressive.

good luck

  • PETAL's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
11 Jun 07 #729 by PETAL
Reply from PETAL
I totally agree. Given the fact my soon to be ex removed everything from the TV / Stereo to the tin opener and watering can - I was in a state I might add and have his foot print on the door from when he gained access through breaking in my garage door and the local plods had to come. Be careful.

  • tigstheterror
  • tigstheterror's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jun 07 #767 by tigstheterror
Reply from tigstheterror
Hi Mike,just out of interest is the house owned or do you rent? Can't understand why all the blokes leave the matrimonial home in the first place!!!! Do you know that it is not a legal requirement that they do?, now the women here will h8 me!! lol Even if there are no kids involved it's your right to remain there until an agreement is reached as to who is buying who out.
Anyhow,on the other side of it,if not owned but rented, go with the advice of contacting the police and asking if an officer can accompany you to retrieve belongings,but don't hold your breath,they may say not enough officers to go around.Failing that only other option is to make it clear of items you wish to retreive and make sure they are held until the house is sorted and you can get them then. I hope you manage to sort things out,take care,Sherri.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.