A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Feel like walking away

  • lovey
  • lovey's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Dec 07 #8241 by lovey
Topic started by lovey
The house is going on the market against sol advice but hubby wont pay the mortgage and i am unable to , so need to be practical, he seems adament that he cant or wont be able to rehouse us so therefore it is up to me , am so fed up with everything, I feel like just saying forget the whole case, your life is yours and lets just get on with things, he is pleading poverty so wont be getting any money from him as such, can i stop court proceedings i know there is light at the end of the tunnel but it is preety hard to see at the moment.:unsure:

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Dec 07 #8243 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
Oh Lovey, it does sound bad. I wouldn't walk away from the proceedings, though. If you don't get it settled now you will have to at some point, and things will only get worse (money or debts accumulated since separation, new partners, etc.) if you don't.

I assume you have already tried to get a mortgage holiday or interest-only payments from your mortgage lender. If your solicitor really is advising you not to sell then probably you should avoid doing so if at all possible. If your ex was previously paying the mortgage it will look rather suspicious in court for him to say he has no money, and if you have kids he is obliged to give you CSA payments.

Good luck,


  • Marshy_
  • Marshy_'s Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Dec 07 #8247 by Marshy_
Reply from Marshy_
I know how you feel and the feeling to just draw a line and get on with it is tempting. But I would wait until the divorce is settled before selling. It may come to that anyway. What you dont want to do is make things harder for yourself later. Just put up for now and take your solicitors advice. As Sadie said. Its better to deal with this now then later. F

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11