A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can i stop my 14 year old living with his Dad?

  • tammylouise
  • tammylouise's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Dec 07 #8249 by tammylouise
Topic started by tammylouise
Me and my husband are divorcing and i have taken our three children to live in a different area hoping to make a fresh start. My oldest is 14 and after giving it only three months in the new area he has decided that he misses his friends and his old school and he wants to go back and live with his dad. If his Dad was a decent one i would have no issues with it but he is not. He only has the three children every other weekend and he goes out leaving them alone thinking that our 14 year old son is capable of babysitting his 11 yr old brother and his 7 year old sister. My 11 yr old son has commented on many occasions "I dont know why we bother going mom, he is either asleep or he goes out". He also lets them play out until ridiculous times once allowing the two younger children to play by a well known dangerous park till well after 9 o clock. He also has very lax rules on schooling and discipline and the people who he mixes with are awful. He also works very long hours and i know my son would be alone, bringing himself up the majority of the time. When i collect my children from him they always look like a bag of rags, having not washed nor brushed teeth nor had hair brushed for the entire 3 days they have stayed. I simply hate taking them, i know the house they stay in is also a dump. I have discussed this in length with my son and it seems that it is mainly his friends he is missing with only a small part being his dad. I am not sure on how i stand on this one, not sure if he can legally just go back without my say so?. I am torn in two. I am 100% sure my son will have a far better and more stable upbringing with me but try telling that to a 14 year old who simply misses his friends!. What can i do?. I feel like if i take it all the way and refuse my son going back he will simply resent me but i also know that he is far safer with me. Any help will be greatly appreciated off the forum. Cheers Tammy

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Dec 07 #8269 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
You can probably stop him legally but in practice there is no point in trying - as you say he is a fourteen year old who misses his friends and you don't want the resentment you would cause by stopping him going. I know you are settled somewhere new now, but is there any possibility that you could all move back to your old area, or nearer to it, so that he can stay with you and see his mates?


  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Dec 07 #8277 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
Is there no way that his friends from the area he is now living cannot stay in touch eg..computer web can and sleep overs etc

How far away does he now live?

A 14 year old will generally get his own way but if pushed to Court CAFCASS and the Crt must also think of the effects on siblings.

If profound and the child can keep in contact with friends in another way there may be the possibility of sucess but it has to be a less than 50% chance

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Dec 07 #8290 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
As above, legally children's views have to be taken into account depending on their age and maturity and a 14 year old is normally deemed capable of making up their own mind about where they live.

Chopping and changing residency isn't desirable but I think you are right to refuse would cause resentment. Your son might find his relationships with friends different than 3 months ago and he might even miss his siblings and decide he wants to move back again. This isn't uncommon and happened with our D who at 16 wanted to live with her Dad, but when it came to the crunch stayed just two nights and came back. Seems having a pesky younger brother had some attraction after all.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11