A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Anyway to stop legal aid for my e2b?

  • NonMolest
  • NonMolest's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
04 Dec 07 #8422 by NonMolest
Topic started by NonMolest
Hi All,

I am paying half of my salary to my x2b as SM and CM. She is getting child benefit and child tax credit. So she is earning more than me(i.e. from divorce + benefit). She is on legal aid. I dont know whether I am eligible for legal aid now? but would it be a good idea to inform LSC that I am paying half of my salary to my x2b and hence she has got earnings from divorce proceddings, so either take some % of it or altogether stop it?

Please advice me.


  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Dec 07 #8430 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
L Aid is means tested

Her case is merits tested so unless the application is without merit making representations to the Community Legal Fund probably won't get you anywhere.

Remember she will pay all her costs back if she recovers property or capital (not SM).

Go to a solr to check if you qualify for LAid

SM and CM are taken into account when you are means tested.

LA is very rarely granted for defended divorces -I imagine because the argument your W is running there are ethnic issues of sensitivity to be argued ( albeit unlikely to succeed) and the CLF are scared to death of refusing LA to her for that!!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.