A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Just need a boost.

  • tortoise
  • tortoise's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Dec 07 #8541 by tortoise
Topic started by tortoise
Just need a boost to tell me I'm doing the right thing. ex to be left Aug 2006 having started a new relationship with girl who has now broken up 3 marriages. All with young children. My son is 3 now. The ex then embarked on 5 foreign hols in 8 mths etc, the usual stuff.
Pays maintenance which has just been reduced. I did what I always said I would do if someone did this to me, I held my head up, didn't fight, just walked away. I moved 350 miles away to be with family, initially he encouraged this, TOO BUSY with his new life, saying he would come and see our boy as much as he could, which he did for the last year between holidays.
Now He wants to take him out of county every 5 weeks. When I said no that alternate contacts would have to be here, he kicked off and took me to court, conciliation.He would not budge.
I just don't want my boy to have to do that long journey every 5 weeks and think it is only fair that his father come and see him. My solicitor agrees. The next court hearing booked for Feb but the ex trying to negotiate again. I am standing my ground on this one. He is always welcome to see our son here.
Am I being reasonable?
Also I have offered to take my boy half way on the contact out of county but have asked for financial help from the ex to do this. He's refused.
He's still with the GF, living together, I am on my own. Any words of wisdom from you good people.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.