A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Unsure if I need legal help

  • Kay1
  • Kay1's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Jun 07 #859 by Kay1
Topic started by Kay1
Hi all. I am in a rather unusual position in that I am the one that left the married home. My will-be-ex husband doesn't work and I have always had to too support him, my son and myself. Due to various problems and deep unhappiness I decided that the marriage wasn't working. I tried lots of times to make things better but when its wrong its just wrong. I talked to my will-be-ex who bluntly refused to leave the house and refused to let me have my son. He also refused to let me have 90% of things from the house so I left with my clothes and a push bike. I still have a full time job and my will-be-ex is rightly on disability. He is able enough to look after our son and always has been house husband.

We have agreed that I pick my son up on a Friday after I finish work and I drop him back at 1pm on a Sunday. My will-be-ex is bitter but we both only have our son's interests at heart so we are being amicable.

Bit long winded but my question is do you think that I will need a solictor? I hoped to avoid them as I can't afford it and we are amicable.

Does anyone have any advise? I feel sick every time I think about starting a divorce. I get awful butterflies. I left in February should I wait abit longer do you think? Any advice welcome.

Thank you for reading all this.

  • Tinny
  • Tinny's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Jun 07 #863 by Tinny
Reply from Tinny
Hi Kay
No time to reply right now but as you are in a very similar situation to me I had to say something.

You dont mention housing, assets or whether you feel your son should spend more time with you. What do you want, what would be best for your son? I delayed things far too long and now 1 year later have my youngest tonight for the 1st time in a year. My solicitor wanted me to do something quicker and i delayed thinking i could work things out with Ex....how wrong I was.

Have to go now and collect from school. If I get the chance I'll post later or tomorrow.

Take care.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.