A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Divorcing a LONG term absent husband

  • michael51
  • michael51's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Dec 07 #8666 by michael51
Topic started by michael51
My partner and I have been together for 19 years and have a child together who is nearly 17.
She got married before she met me and split up with her husband before we started our relationship.
The marriage only lasted a matter of months.
She has never had any contact with this man since they split as he vanished after their separation.
We have no idea where he is now living or how to contact him.
The only details we have is the original wedding certificate.
We feel we know each other well enought to get married now!
How easy is it for her to divorce this man?
Is it a question of proving that she has lived with someone else for the last 19 years etc

Thanks in anticipation

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Dec 07 #8667 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
If he is living in uk there will be way of tracing him ie the dept of births deathe and marriages also several websites too ,at a cost though. Also if sep for 2 years you can apply for divorce
best bet go to cab before solicitors as they cost
dont dispair he may even be dead
Sources that find people are bountiful... try the salvation army they hve great resources for finding people
I wish you well and hope your wedding day comes soon as you wish

  • derby
  • derby's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Dec 07 #8674 by derby
Reply from derby
Hi, i thought that you could get divorced after 5 years of separation without a partners consent.

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Dec 07 #8677 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
Absolutely 5 years without consent. Just serve the papers at last known address. £50. Divorce itself through an online divorce company £60 and its done. B)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.