A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Here's one for you............named co respondent

  • moonstar04
  • moonstar04's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
13 Dec 07 #8930 by moonstar04
Topic started by moonstar04
Ok have been awake for most of the night after being awoken by my suposedly new blokes wife!!!

1) did not know he was married
2) Threats and abuse from his wife
3) Alledgely naming me as co respondent

Now I am not that niave as a general rule and have seen this bloke just 5 times now. Obviously 5 times too many.

Guess I need to know where I stand if I am named as co respondent. Think I am being used as a scape goat really and where is the bloke in question............yes you guessed it dissapeared of the face of the earth it appears.


  • andrewgarnettuk
  • andrewgarnettuk's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
13 Dec 07 #8946 by andrewgarnettuk
Reply from andrewgarnettuk
I wouldnt worry about it, you probably wont end up being named. It's usually a threat from the other half to get rid of you. If you are named nothing happens really, the biggest problem is usually if your in a relationship yourself and your other half finds out. There are no real implications for you other than dented pride. Try this for a plan, next time you meet somebody go to their house and make sure their story is true, check it all out before you really go for it. I'm sure you will be ok. Take this advise from a man who has had the same experience as you with a woman. I should have check out her credentials even before I had a date with her
andy x

  • Vail
  • Vail's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Dec 07 #8963 by Vail
Reply from Vail

Firstly, try not to worry.

Secondly, a threat to name you as corespondent is nothing worth bothering about even if you get a solicitor's letter - ignore it.

If you get a court form then don't acknowledge it formally, write a letter 'without prejudice' saying you have received it and ask what to do next.

Your correspondence with the solicitor should deal with one thing at a time, don't ask or reply to more than one thing in any one letter. Yes, this is a cynical ploy to increase the costs of the other party and for their solicitor to inform them that they are on a hiding to nothing.

The only possible use for naming a corespondent is to get them to share the costs of a divorce, the official and not the actual costs. Once the other party realise that their (quite legal) option of trying to get you involved is actually going to increase their costs, they'll stop trying to get you involved.

Whether you wish to get yourself uninvolved from your new bloke is of course entirely up to you.

Don't worry and please try not to lose any more sleep over it, that leads to wrinkles!

Good luck.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.