A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

any advice welcome

  • martin2207
  • martin2207's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Dec 07 #9549 by martin2207
Reply from martin2207
thanks so so much for the sensible and clear advice.

Would I be wise to do the following.

Write to her solicitor advising that I agree to her proposal of 2 yrs separation by consent.

Offer her a one off settlement of 20k, with me retaining the marital home , on condition that joint residence order can be agreed together,in the best interest of our daughter.
I would expect at minimum every other full weekend and one weekday after school, is this fair and reasonable ?

What other points would I need to make in this letter,as I would find this solution acceptable as long as the daughters schooling standard was not affected by the move and the joint residence terms were kept to.

Again thanks for sound reasoned advice and thanks in advance for this further guidance.

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Dec 07 #9556 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
Every other full weekend and one weekday after school seems reasonable but I am not sure on what basis you get to stay in the marital home, given that this will mean more disruption for your daughter. It is more common for the resident parent to stay in the home so that the children don't have to move.


  • martin2207
  • martin2207's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
28 Dec 07 #9651 by martin2207
Reply from martin2207
i believe that she wants to move to be nearer her work (30 mins away).i now need to compile a letter to her solicitor to basically offer her solution 3 that our wise atilla put up. The best way of wording is difficult to assess and any good suggestions from you more experienced and knowledgeable on the site would maybe make a big difference in gaining justice.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.