A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • fed up
  • fed up's Avatar Posted by
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
02 Jan 08 #9825 by fed up
Topic started by fed up
Hi,could anyone advise me plz. I have a partner and two children, twin girls age 14. Iam not the father but ive had them from babies and we are very close and they so do not want to leave. I have sadly for the second time in 3 yrs found my girlfriend cheating although shes not aware that i know as much as i do .she came to live with me, never worked never contributed to anything we have.I have had to put up with working, cleaning and cooking for so long now i have to make the choice and end this hell.I would like to know , will i have to sell my house ? its in my name. Would i stand a chance of keeping my girls ? as i said they dont want to go. i have a good job also a small business of my own i can provide for them and love them more than she or the waster of a real dad could, who sees them twice a year if he can be botherd.that may seem harsh but it makes me so mad at times.This has come at the worst time for their schooling and how can any mom do this at such an important stage. I want to keep them but she says ive no rights and will never see them again. any advice will help, thanks . Carl.

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Jan 08 #9832 by gone1
Reply from gone1
U say the magic word. Partner. No marriage so no divorce. Excellent. Basically she has no hold on you whatsoever. You can just walk away. I dont think you have to sell your house. I am fairly certain that is not the case. But in 10 lines I cannot advise you. I dont have enough to go on.

The stepkids. You have no parental rights there at all. The only way you would get custody is to adopt them and I doubt in the current climate that would not happen. Courts almost always come down on the side of biology and for good reason.

Perhaps she will leave and could let you look after them. Not sure how this would happen in law. I know you can be a legal guardian. Perhaps thats the way forward. I am sorry I cant advise much more. Hope it helped though.


  • fed up
  • fed up's Avatar Posted by
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
02 Jan 08 #9833 by fed up
Reply from fed up
Thankyou chris. Its good to find this site.

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Jan 08 #9834 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
Sorry to hear the bad news

1. You have no rights over the children but hopefully she will let you see the children at her new place once she leaves.

2. As Chris says you wont lose the house as you are not married, you dont have to pay any maintainence either.

3. Better to move on, tell her to go, and you should find someone who wont cheat on you.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.