A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

wants back only what he put in

  • susiek01
  • susiek01's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
03 Jan 08 #9906 by susiek01
Topic started by susiek01
my husband is now saying he only wants back what he put in to our marriage of 7yrs.how on earth can he ask me for half of the bill money,eg,gas electic council tax phone bill tv licience ect ect.the morgage which is solely in my name was paid by me and always has been done that way.it was not bought as part of the matrimomial home i had it before i met him.i am in scotland ,him in england.he says he is filing for divorce in scotland.can anyone tell me what i should be doing. a lawyer said to me that until i hear from his lawyer i do not need there services until then is this true.what are his entitlements,if any.i would be obliged if any one can give me any kind of advise.
yours in hope:

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jan 08 #9929 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
In Scotland the marital 'pot' is formed by the assets (including pensions) accrued by a couple, whether individually or jointly, between the dates of marriage and separation excluding gifts and inheritances. However, a house or household furnishings acquired by one or both of you before the marriage may, in certain circumstances, be included.

Once the assets have been valued at the date of separation the law says they should be shared equally unless there are special circumstances. The division needs to reflect the unequal burden of childcare which can arise on divorce, or allow for economic advantage or disadvantage one party may have.

You could start collecting financial information and establish the value of assets and as your husband says he only wants what he put in it might be a good idea to ask him for a written proposal. Then you will be in a position to do some number crunching and respond with a counter-proposal.

There is a bit about divorce in Scotland in the Divorce Guide accessed by the Resources menu at the top of the page you might find useful to read.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.