A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

decree nisi

  • yellowrose
  • yellowrose's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
03 May 12 #328225 by yellowrose
Topic started by yellowrose
I have had the certificate telling me Decree Nisi will be heard on 18th May and that judge has ordered the b.....d to pay costs. he has previously indicated he will only pay 50% despite him sc.....g another woman, him not trying to make our marriage work when we had agreed that was what we wanted - only I wanted it as it turned out - he couldn.t resist her!!, him walking out on me, him telling me in the fullness of time I will realise this is all my fault.

My solicitor says if he contests the ruling I will have to appear in court - I have to self rep as money tight and he is a lawyer as is his s..g.

I am back to where I was twelve months ago. I never wanted any of this and yet I am the one who is crying buckets and who is living in hell. Just when I thought things were getting better.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 May 12 #328844 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
What are your grounds ? Adultery ? Has he admitted it ?

Normally if he''s admitted adultery he would be ordered to pay the costs, lawyer or no. But costs are always at the discretion of the Court.

I''d say it''s hardly worth the expense of hiring a lawyer for the money involved, but if there is admitted adultery, he should expect to pay your costs if you find it intolerable to live with him any more.

It may not cost him directly to self rep, but there is always the issue of loss of remunerative time. I think there''s a pretty good chance of your getting the costs even if you self rep.

What does your solicitor think ?


  • blonde cazza
  • blonde cazza's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
07 May 12 #328861 by blonde cazza
Reply from blonde cazza
I too had my certificate...mine is being read tomorrow!...my ex is paying costs im the respndant...he has based it unreasonable behaviour lies lies and more lies....he knows i would of fought him in court and won...he was violent and its always swept under the carpet!

  • yellowrose
  • yellowrose's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
07 May 12 #328895 by yellowrose
Reply from yellowrose

My solicitor says that he can refuse to pay full costs hence he will have to appear in court to say why he should only pay 50% and I will have to go to put my case for full costs.

He is obsessed with money and will never want to give me more than 50% of anything despite adultery being the reason for this - and yet he has admitted it and I''ve named her as the co-respondant.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.