A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • confused999
  • confused999's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Jun 08 #29201 by confused999
Topic started by confused999
Call me niaive but I didn’t realise that you need to have ‘grounds’ for divorce. A search on the internet suggests that the below reasons are ‘grounds’ for a divorce.
1. Adultery
2. Unreasonable behaviour
3. Desertion (this ground can no longer be used in Scotland)
4. Two-year separation in England and Wales or one-year in Scotland, when the other party consents to a divorce
5. Five-year separation in England and Wales or two-year in Scotland, in which case no consent is needed.
Although I am sure she believes my behaviour is unreasonable she has so far failed to convince any of our family and friends, in fact to the best of my knowledge, they all tell her that she is being unreasonable. Reasons 3,4 and 5 are out so that only leaves 1. I did commit adultery in 1976 (I was young, foolish and drunk on hormones). The question is, how far back can she go?

  • D L
  • D L's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
27 Jun 08 #29204 by D L
Reply from D L
Not back to 1976 that is for sure!

Around 6 months is as far back as she can go.


  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
27 Jun 08 #29206 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
HI Confused99

Just one small adjustment - in Scotland, you can divorce after 12 months seperation, if both parties consent, otherwise, it is a 2 year sep without consent from both parties, as you say. The laws here changed recently.(sorry, I know Im being a bit pedantic here!)

As far as I know, any acts of UB must have taken place within the previous six months prior to petitioning, this would, I imagine also apply to adultery - if you committed adultery back in 1976 (32 years ago), the courts would assume that she had forgiven you, as you continued to maintain your marraige for a further 32 years.

I hope this helps a bit.


PS welcome to wiki :)

  • confused999
  • confused999's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Jun 08 #29236 by confused999
Reply from confused999
Forgiven me - no she never forgave me, I did sometimes wonder whether she should have thanked me because that gave her the moral high ground for 32 years. Some years back she asked me how I would have felt if she'd committed adultery. I quickly weighed the pain of rejection against the years of milking it and pay back and told her I wished she had!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11