A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

divorce...help and tips please

  • chatsworth08
  • chatsworth08's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Mar 12 #319145 by chatsworth08
Topic started by chatsworth08
my stbx now wants a divorce and thats fine with me. ive told her i cant afford it, the 5 years seperation will be up in september and shes pressing for it now.......my question is? is it better to get contact sorted before divorce? or doesnt it matter?

i belive there is a section in the divorce papers that says things about children and ive also heard that whatever i put in there doesnt hold up in court weather i see him regularly or not.

so does it make a difference if we are divorced or not? is there anything i should be aware of? or put in the Petition when i get it?

im happy to divorce but i dont want to get caught out on anything i might regret later.
i dont want anything of hers and she doesnt want anything of mine.

but as im still having this regular contact dissagreement with my ex. i dont want the wool pulled over my eyes.

any help would be greatfull.

i know i have said i cant afford it, but if i can get some help on this i would be great full.


  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Mar 12 #319149 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
After the court receives the application for divorce you will be served the papers and you then have 8 days to return the acknowledgement. There is no point in procrastination, it just wastes time, money and causes unnecessary acrimony.

When there are children there is a statement of arrangements so the court can ensure that adequate arrangements are in place at the time of divorce. The statement isn''t legally binding and often arrangements change as children reach different stages and/or parents commitments change. If the arrangements cannot be agreed in the statement the court may not grant the divorce until the matter has been settled.

  • chatsworth08
  • chatsworth08's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Mar 12 #319200 by chatsworth08
Reply from chatsworth08
thanks fiona, does that include contact arrange ments, christas, holidays etc?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.