A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.


  • pamxx
  • pamxx's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
27 Mar 12 #320317 by pamxx
Topic started by pamxx
hi i have been with my partner for 3 and a half years, he is married but has been separated from his wife for 11 years now. she has now gone for divorce and i just wanted to know whether she can claim any kind of money other than divorce fees from my partner, they did not own a house and their child is over 18 so should be simple but on his papers hes received it looks like she intends to go for monthly payments so my question is, can my partner be made to paid money to his soon to be ex wife after they have lived apart for so long they are getting divorced on the 5 year separation all info greatly appreciated

  • livinginhope
  • livinginhope's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Mar 12 #320328 by livinginhope
Reply from livinginhope
She may not have any intention of trying to claim against your partner but it seems to be the norm for solicitors to advise clients to tick all of the financial boxes on the initial form.

  • new2newport
  • new2newport's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
27 Mar 12 #320351 by new2newport
Reply from new2newport
I believe it''s only if the 18yr old is in further education then it goes to 21.

I might be and probably am wrong.

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Mar 12 #320403 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
It''s standard procedure to tick all the boxes except maintenance pending suit. It doesn''t mean she will pursue the claims.

After 11 years of separation it''s extremely unlikely that she would be awarded spousal maintenance. She has managed on her own for 11 years, after all. If she would now tell a court, "I cannot afford to live without £XXX per month from my ex husband" then I don''t think they would take that too seriously. BUT everything in divorce depends on the figures and circumstances. There are some situations where SM may be awarded.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.