A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Divorcing a Moroccan

  • moroccanwife
  • moroccanwife's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
03 Apr 12 #321468 by moroccanwife
Topic started by moroccanwife
I married my husband in Morocco in 1996. He moved to UK with full residence. I had a terrible life with him for 12 years, loving in UK. He got arrested in Morocco in 2008 and got a 3 year jail sentence. (quite honestly that was a RELIEF to me). He is not in jail now. He is still in Morocco. We don''t communicate and I have not seen him for 4 years. I want a divorce. I have been told that I cant divorce him without proof that he receives a letter saying I am divorcing him and the only was to do that is to get an agent in Morocco to deliver it. This is impossible for me. I dont have the money. I have been told I can get Legal Aid for the UK part of the divorce but not for this ''delivery'' in Morocco. Is there any other way I can divorce him?

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Apr 12 #321471 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
People cannot simply go around divorcing their spouse behind their back, without letting them know, or making their best efforts to do so. If they could then there would be no end of problems!

So, those are your options. You must either prove to a court that he has received your Petition, or prove to the court that you have tried your best efforts to get it to him. Proof of receipt can come in many forms. The easiest is if he responds. If not then the best method is to hire a process server who specializes in foreign delivery or specifically in Morocco.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.