A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

name on deeds

  • unluckyone1
  • unluckyone1's Avatar Posted by
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
04 Apr 12 #321664 by unluckyone1
Topic started by unluckyone1
Hi, Im new to this but would like some advise if poss.
Currently goin through a divorce, havent got as far as the Nisi yet.
Havent discussed the settlement with my solicitor yet either, but my question is, my stbex is the sole name on our house we brought 9yrs ago, weve been together 18yrs & have 3 children together.ive worked continuly & contibruted through in a joint account, he has now left the marital home,9 months ago, ive solely paid mortgage myself since then.
As part of the settlement, i would like to have my name put on the deeds(as i feel this is a more secure option than just the mortgage).does anyone know if this can be done, & if so can my solicitor do it or possibly the court as i feel he wont consent to this, even though he said hed need kick us out. ive land registery rights at mo, but once the Absolute is finalised i know i will lose the protection.
He is in a new relationship now, & is even engaged. but im worried that if my name isnt anywhere on the house, i havent a leg to stand on. and if they marry then split up she would then have half this house that im paying for.
Any advise would be deeply grateful.

  • Tets
  • Tets's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
04 Apr 12 #321666 by Tets
Reply from Tets
You can register marital home rights You should post application form HR1 to the Land Registry office which deals with the area in which the house is situated look on the land registry site here.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11