A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Seperation & Finances - advice required

  • mcmanc
  • mcmanc's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
07 Apr 12 #322248 by mcmanc
Topic started by mcmanc
Hi there - I''m fairly new to this but would appreciate some advice please.My husband and I separated about 3 years ago but continued to live together for the sake of the children and for financial reasons. Although we have lived seperate lives we kept a joint account for bills & food etc although we didn''t cook for each other. He is now in another relationship so spends very little time here. Our eldest daughter is at University and when she is away he does spend more time here due to needing to be around more for our youngest. I was wondering whether I could now claim single parent status from the point of view of applying for additional help with supporting our daughter at Uni? She currently only gets her student loan but if I were on my own she could claim a partial grant as well. He hasn''t officially moved in with his new woman and all his post still comes here. I work but don''t earn enough to support the mortgage and the running of the home on my own. I don''t claim any benefits at the moment as I have just assumed that I wouldn''t be entitled to as my husband still spends time here (he hasn''t told the kids about his new girlfriend and so can''t really see them outside the family home) - a friend is telling me otherwise. Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks x

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Apr 12 #322340 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
You need to separate all your joint finances so don''t have a joint account for food, I think that you could have a joint account for the standing bills such as mortgage, utilities etc.

As the home address is his address you cannot apply for a single persons discount for council tax but if you agree and can prove that you are living separate lives it may well be that you can get additional financial support.

Citizens advice might be a good place to start.

  • mcmanc
  • mcmanc's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
08 Apr 12 #322475 by mcmanc
Reply from mcmanc
Hi - thanks for that. Will look into splitting the accounts I think. As for Citizens Advice, I have tried but am finding it impossible to get through to them at the moment. Prob wouldn''t look at claiming on the council tax anyway as my eldest lives here when she is not at Uni making two adults living here. Am trying to keep everything simple but at thesame time don''t want to miss out on any help I might be entitled to :)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.