A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

court hearing thursday

  • teresamichelle
  • teresamichelle's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
10 Apr 12 #322762 by teresamichelle
Topic started by teresamichelle
:)Hi , I am back at court thursday for the second part of the FDR hearing . I have sent letters to my husbands solicitor since the last hearing but had, had no reply till saturday when I got a letter saying,That at the last hearing the valuation of the home was agreed at £170,000 for the purpose of the FDR.If the next hearing is wasted as a result of you now seking to renegotiate the valuation, we shall be seeking an Order for Costs against you .

After the hearing I requested my own valuation but had no response to that . I am certain it was not decided as it was definately going to go on the value of £170,000. The judge told me to go away and think about what I wanted. Is it true ,what his solicitor is saying that they could seek an Order for Costs against me?Any help greatly appreciated . Thankyou . Teresa

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Apr 12 #322847 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
Have you got your own valuations? Preferably 3 from different local estate agents? You need to know how much you''re fighting over, to know if it''s worth fighting for.

  • teresamichelle
  • teresamichelle's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
10 Apr 12 #322926 by teresamichelle
Reply from teresamichelle
No , cos I cant get in the house . He changed the locks .

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Apr 12 #322935 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
You could use Rightmove to get an estimate of what properties in your road/area are selling for.
You can find out actually what the houses sold for rather than the price they were put on the market at

  • epitome title
  • epitome title's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Apr 12 #322937 by epitome title
Reply from epitome title

Zoopla is a really good place to get a valuation on a particular property as depending on whether you want a higher or lower valuation, it allows you to amend the valuation by adding plus points to the property, such as kitchen or bathroom upgrades and whether the property is in a location location location type area.

As Jaymdee said, like with Rightmove, you can find out how much a property was bought or sold for and when.

If you take the Zoopla valuation along with you to the hearing, it can give some weight to your argument if it is vastly different to the valuation supplied by the other side. It could also give you the opportunity to have an agreed "middle ground" for negotiating purposes, therefore removing the chance of a wasted hearing and also the other side''s threat of having costs awarded against you.

You do however have the argument that although you requested the opportunity of having your own valuation carried out on the property, that opportunity was denied you because the request was ignored by the other side, the question is how can they look to you for their costs if you disagree their valuation when you were denied the chance of getting your own valuation.

I would say a Rightmove or Zoopla valuation is the way to go, print it off and take it with you.

Good luck for Thursday :)

  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Apr 12 #322960 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
Yes i agree Do some research first to find out if £170k seems far out. At my FDR there was no consensus as the 3 estate agents valuations were so different. Your ex should also be submitting 3. The judge at my FDR ordered a surveyors report , this cost about £500 (this cost was split).

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.