A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Changing Locks

  • George Goodnight
  • George Goodnight's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
13 Apr 12 #323493 by George Goodnight
Topic started by George Goodnight
Hi everyone,
I''m seperated but still live in the MH. Its not great but it will change soon. We own the property and it has no Mortgage however my name is not on the deeds, in fact my name isn''t on anything really.
If she changes the locks while I''m at work how do I stand legally.
And what actions should I take. I''m asking this because things are starting to get heated and I suspect this is her next move.
We have been married for 13 years and have one child who is 12.
Thank you for your help.
Ipod Pig

  • happyagain
  • happyagain's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Apr 12 #323496 by happyagain
Reply from happyagain
If she changes the locks, it could be difficult. Make sure you have proof of residence (polling card, utility bill) with you at all times as you may need it to regain access via a locksmith.
The most important thing is that you register your claim to the property via the land registry. You automatically have this right as you are married to the legal owner and have lived in the property. Don''t worry about not being on the mortgage either - once married, what''s hers is yours and vice versa in a court of law.
Should she change the locks though you would need to think carefully about your course of action. It would be easy in the heat of the moment for either of you to say or do something silly that could have long-term implications.

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Apr 12 #323497 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
First you should register your home rights with the Land Registry.

Whether your name is on the deeds or not does not matter, this is a marital home and as such you have a right to live there. If she changes the locks while you''re out then you can legally gain entry by breaking a window or any other action you see fit.

  • George Goodnight
  • George Goodnight's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
13 Apr 12 #323526 by George Goodnight
Reply from George Goodnight
Many thanks for the quick replies, very much appreciated.

ipod pig

  • Jusi89
  • Jusi89's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
13 Apr 12 #323543 by Jusi89
Reply from Jusi89
Hi same thing happened to me fill a HR1 form off the land registry website. Once completed and accepted you have legal rights. Even if she calls the police, without the HR1 you can''t do anything. Home rights - application

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.