A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Confirmation that petition has been issued

  • fallingapart
  • fallingapart's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
21 Apr 12 #325504 by fallingapart
Topic started by fallingapart
Well, I have heard from my solicitor today to say that the Judge at my local court agrees to me petitioning on adultery and that the Petition was sent to my stbx on the 13th April.

I''m not upset, which I thought I would be, just accepting that the process has started and that he will soon no longer be part of my life. I want to be free of him and all his lying and cheating, ready to get on with my new life with my children. The last couple of weeks I can truly say that I have been happier with my lot. I''m smiling more and enjoying spending time with my kids. Theres no stress or worry at what mood he is going to walk through the door in and no issues about having to keep the kids out of his way or treading on eggshells all the time.

Apparantly he has 14 days to respond? What happens if there is no response or he decides to get himself a solicitor?

  • Lostboy67
  • Lostboy67's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
21 Apr 12 #325511 by Lostboy67
Reply from Lostboy67
Well if he gets himself a solicitor he gets to spend lots of money :-)If he does not acknowledge the Petition ultimatly you may have to get the papers served by the court, which may delay things and incurr costs.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.