A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do I need to Spend More on Legal Costs?

  • MSA
  • MSA's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Apr 12 #326869 by MSA
Topic started by MSA
After a drawn out battle, I now have a court ratified Consent Order which amongst other things transfers the house to me once he has paid off the mortgage.

My solicitor is saying that I must pay for the legal aspects of the transfer but given I have already spent far more than I can afford (ex earns loads and I am unemployed), is this the case or can I get him to action it?

Many thanks to anyone who responds.

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Apr 12 #326883 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
If your solicitor charges by the hour then the work has to be paid for. If you agreed a fixed fee to include the implementation the work should be part of the fixed fee but I doubt that this is the case.


  • MSA
  • MSA's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
28 Apr 12 #326970 by MSA
Reply from MSA
Hi Charles,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I pay my solicitor by the hour but my concern is whether there is some rule that says that I (the petitioner) who is getting the house has to pay for my solicitor to carry out the transfer process (as opposed to my ex instructing his solicitor to transfer the house to me)?


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.