A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

From todays Daily Mail

  • sillywoman
  • sillywoman's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
30 Apr 12 #327529 by sillywoman
Reply from sillywoman
Stepper - there is also the other side of the coin - fathers that don''t want to see their children, as in my case.

  • u6c00
  • u6c00's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Apr 12 #327532 by u6c00
Reply from u6c00
There are definitely fathers like that, more''s the pity.

I think some fathers are put off applying for custody and contact by a legal system that is prohibitively expensive (I''ve racked up £6500 in 2 months), and a public perception that the court is inherently biassed against fathers.

Call me naive but I don''t necessarily think that the latter point is true (in most cases) but bizarrely, Fathers 4 Justice have actually reinforced that misconception, by telling it to anyone who would listen. It''s a shame but I think they''ve actually done the opposite of what they have set out to achieve.

Stepper does have a good point though, as I have found recently. For me to have overnight contact with my son I needed to have a bedroom for him. This meant that I needed to get a 2 bedroom house but unlike with resident parents, there is no government support for that. I am sure the same is true for all non resident parents, as well as paying maintenance, we are expected to pay the costs of a home for a child. With rental prices as high as they are this is an important factor in planning what you can realistically hope for. For some fathers I am sure the thought of all this is likely to put them off.

I would also like if (by consent of both parties) maintenance could be paid into a child trust fund or similar. That''s a topic for another post altogether though!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11