A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

What happens to a dormant petition?

  • Exile
  • Exile's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 May 12 #331253 by Exile
Topic started by Exile
I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me what happens to divorce proceedings if they are commenced, the respondent does not reply and the claimant does nothing to pursue the matter?

My wife filed for divorce in summer 2011, and I just could not bring myself to fill in the papers and respond. She took no action and for a while we were trying to work things out, so we just forgot about the process. Sadly it seems that there is no longer any hope of making it work, and we are both coming to terms with the reality that the divorce should go through after all.

Will the claim still be on the record if I respond now? Or will we have to file again, particularly since our addresses have changed since the Petition was filed?

So confused and really don''t want to waste any more time and money on this whole thing in this lifetime!

Any thoughts, or suggestions on how to find out, would be very much appreciated.


  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 May 12 #331275 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
A Petition has to be dismissed or continued - it will never ''expire''.

It is possible for your wife to amend the petition - at a cost of £100, particularly as addresses have changed. In reality it is less hassle to dismiss the current petition and issue a new one.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.