A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Where to start?

  • bolty2uk
  • bolty2uk's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
22 May 12 #332336 by bolty2uk
Topic started by bolty2uk
Hello all.
Just a quick enquiry seeking a little advice.

My marriage has broken down and my partner has left me over 6 years ago.
After much investigation i have finally got an address for her.

So i am now fully equipped to begin the process of a divorce on the grounds of 5 year seperation.

Now, with no children, property and money involved im hoping that as long as she actually replies to the Petition it should all be ok..

Now, the complex parts are i am an English man and she is a Thai National living in Thailand. We married in Thailand.

So my question is, is this something i can do myself or will i need help from an online divorce or a solicitor ?

And the other worry i have is to what the process is if she just doesnt reply and who has to pay for these costs if the courts decide to use baliffs etc...

What do you guys recommend.

Many Thanks

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 May 12 #332341 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
There are special rules for serving the papers abroad and if your wife is likely not to respond it would be more straightforward to use a solicitor with some experience in international divorce.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
22 May 12 #332352 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Call the wiki line tomorrow they will explain what needs to be done.it''s not as complicated as some think.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11