A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Should I wait or not?

  • chelle78
  • chelle78's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Jun 12 #337209 by chelle78
Topic started by chelle78
Hi My husband Left me last year with no reason (he still can''t give me a reason), we have been married 5 years and have been a couple/living together 12 years. He mentioned divorce but has not initiated anything. I still love him and do not want a divorce. Is he waiting for the two year period in the hope I will get less in a settlement? Would i get less if I waited for him to initiate things? or do I bite the bullet and get the ball rolling myself?

I have tried to get him to sit down and arrange things between us but he keeps making excuses why he can''t (work, travelling etc.).

We have 2 children together age 11 & 3.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
18 Jun 12 #337325 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Divorce is very final so its always best to be absolutely sure before you embark on the divorce journey.

Have you thought about maybe trying relate or some form of counseling to find out what the problem is, personally i think it should be more or less required for many with obvious exceptions.

Because you have two children its unlikely your financial entitlement would change if you did wait two years, that said even if he does wait two years you will need to consent to the divorce before the court will allow it.

Probably the best course of action is to keep talking to try and find out what is or has gone wrong with the marriage.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.