A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

5 years seperation

  • trailerguy61
  • trailerguy61's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
23 Jun 12 #338661 by trailerguy61
Topic started by trailerguy61
Rather complicated.
I married a US citizen in april 2000 in the UK.
She went back to the USA in 2001 with what Ive been lead to believe was a £12,000 pension payout. She would open my mail even tho i told her not to plus we had a joint account, the timing of the payout and her leaving were February 2001. I only recently found out about this pension by way of my own pension aplication. I`m 62.
I cant prove anything because Ive been told that bank records cant be traced or proven, going back so far. Thats just one item in many.
Long story short, I moved to live and work in the USA, broke up, went back and finally because her control freak ways got too much i walked out for good, with her sisters help and never looked back in September 2007 flying home in october 2007. Ive had no contact for what will be 5 years this October, have no ideas as to her whereabouts etc, does anyone have any advice ?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Jun 12 #338738 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
The United States is a big place. To divorce her the Petition needs to come to her notice.

If you don''t know where she is, are there any friends or relatives, employers, who might have an idea ?


  • trailerguy61
  • trailerguy61's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Jun 12 #338786 by trailerguy61
Reply from trailerguy61
Hi, Thx for the input.
Her sister moved away from the area shortly after I left. They never really "got on", stbx is a real opinionated control freak !
I havent kept in touch with her nor her family.
Stbx may have moved back to live with a friend in Louisville because her job at her sisters clinic, due to her sister having moved on was in jeapardy and she may well have lost her job at the same time, along with her apartment.
Her ex husband lives in Chicago, at last recollection but since 5 yrs or more have passed since I had any contact, he and his children may have moved.
I saw some reference to putting an ad in a local paper but if she has prior notice she could well dissapear rather than be served with papers.
I`ve been unemployed almost 3 years, have no assets and would really struggle to pay out for any server fees or finders fees.
How much do I have to do to convince a judge given that she still presumably still resides in the USA ?.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.