A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Divorce - section 10 - query??? Please help.

  • Pleasehelp1
  • Pleasehelp1's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
28 Jun 12 #339703 by Pleasehelp1
Topic started by Pleasehelp1
Hello, just wondering if anyone can help?

I am the respondent in a divorce, and I have just received the Acknowledgement of Service. I am concerned about the boxes that are ticked in section 10 – all are ticked, and I have been advised that the first box should not be “an order for maintenance pending suit/outcome”. I talked to someone at Wiki and they said this must be a mistake and should be taken off, so I rang my wifes solicitor and they said this is standard practice to leave this box ticked even if they are not making the order – is this correct? And should I still send the form in?

Apart from that everything seems straight forward as she is divorcing me on grounds of breakdown and we have not lived together for 3 years, we are not disputing anything, and we just want to get the divorce over and done with. We have 2 kids who will reside with her and she is getting Legal Aid.
Can someone please advise if I should still send in the form? Or if I need to write to her solicitor to ask them to confirm the provisions in section 10 will be removed upon granting of Decree Nisi? And also write to court to say I am waiting for a reply? – Bearing in mind I only have 6 more days to hand in the form.

Any advice would be appreciated,


  • placid
  • placid's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
01 Jul 12 #340221 by placid
Reply from placid
Sorry, can''t answer, except your own solicitor may be worth £60 on a specific.

Your post caught my attention, as I''m just at the start of the "I want a divorce" process. So far it sounds like breadwinners end up paying for the joy of being told "I want a divorce" even if they haven''t done anything except trying save money by asking that cash withdrawals are made from non service charge machines and heating is not put on at will etc.

What sort of needs can a chap quote to redress the female propensity for saying I need more because it has to be a property I want.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
01 Jul 12 #340240 by dukey
Reply from dukey
It does seem some solicitors tick the MPS box as a matter of course, which i don`t understand as ticking it means you end up with a hearing in court, and neither of you want a hearing for maintenance.

Either way send it back to court in time.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.