A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

can I force financial settlement?

  • Inamess
  • Inamess's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Jul 12 #341620 by Inamess
Topic started by Inamess
Hi Guys, I''ve posted a few times over the past three and a half years since seperation and thank you so much for the replies. BUT! I''m no further forward with settlement/divorce, I''m in seperation limbo! Ex simply stopped seeing his sol sept 11, and my sol tried sending reminders, phoning but with no joy. It''s like my sol got ''fed up'' or something and suggested I wait and see what happens, I owe her approx 5k but she hasn''t sent an invoice or any comms, it''s like a whole year and a half of letters back and forth never happened. Ex is obviously very happy to charge on with his life as he is holding the cards and doesn''t want to give anything up, while I am treading water until ''something'' happens. Is there anything I can do to get things resolved so I can move on, I don''t have any funds to take him to court(which he knows). Is he allowed to carry on indefinitely, because he will if he gets away with it to make sure I struggle. We''re both 54,married 20 years and 3 children. Seems very unfair but as my sol said last year '' if he wont respond there''s not much I can do'' !! Didn''t expect to be in this mess at this age :(x

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Jul 12 #341623 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Unfortunately the only options are to start court proceedings or hold out in the hope that something happens to bring your husband to the negotiating table.

If your husband left the former matrimonial home the realisation that he is liable to pay Capital Gains Tax on the property 3 years after moving out or you will be entitled to benefits from his pension should he die. Alternatively he acquires a new partner she might not be too happy about him still being married, particularly if they wish to marry.

  • Inamess
  • Inamess's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Jul 12 #341629 by Inamess
Reply from Inamess
Thanks Fiona, He has a partner but the will to make me struggle will be paramount, real nice guy!! So basically, he can control everything I''ve worked for all these years until he decides otherwise, just like when I was married then :0. If I had realised this before the split I would have handled things differently, I just assumed that there would be laws to get things done. So now I''m probably looking at a dismal retirement because obviously worked towards a joint one. I''m so angry at myself for letting this happen but I didn''t realise the laws were so loose, bah. x

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.