A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Was i wrong to sign declaration?

  • greengoblin
  • greengoblin's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
07 Jul 12 #341787 by greengoblin
Topic started by greengoblin
I was in the process of giving up any rights I have on the former matrimonial home by signing it all over to my ex, the idea behind this being that it would simplify matters when we came to divorce. I have currently only signed a declaration to transfer the mortgage to her sole name and no conveyancing documentation has been signed to transfer the title deeds as yet. She has now made it clear that she is not willing to compromise on any financial arrangements or arrangements regarding access to our two children since I agreed in principle not to contest the fact she is not willing to offer any settlement. She has stated she is not in any hurry to divorce and has delayed any progress in drawing up our minute of agreement and generally been very obstuctive in bringing matters to any sort of conclusion. As a result of this I now feel I have no option other than to take court action to finalise things. This will be costly to me (she recieves legal aid) so I think I will have to seek a settlement on the property. Do I still have a right to contest the fact that I should be entitled to something?

Any advice would be great thanks

  • ScotBob
  • ScotBob's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
07 Jul 12 #341812 by ScotBob
Reply from ScotBob
I''m pretty sure that, up until the point that the Separation Agreement is signed, you can change your mind on any part. I made a similar offer to get things over & done with quickly, & here I am...4 years on and still not divorced :(, so I suggest starting at 50/50 and don''t diddle yourself in the hope that it can be sorted quickly.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.