A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

barefoot & pregnant

  • hur
  • hur's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
15 Jul 12 #343212 by hur
Topic started by hur
first I am neither pregnant or barefoot, I am referring to my state of mind

I have 2 children, currently waiting for Decree Nisi to drop on doormat. I live in marital home, with children & stbx.

Previous coercive tactics aside, he has now cancelled credit cards & tried to clear out the joint account (bank has frozen the account)
we have mortgage/council tax/utility bills set up on direct debit

I earn just enough to cover the mortgage.He earns 3x what I do.

What is he responsible for ?
yes I have a solicitor, but stbx tells me I am due nothing

I am an intelligent, competent woman but I am scared of him, sometimes too scared to talk to my solicitor...

(and too ashamed to hit ''submit'')

  • redwine47
  • redwine47's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Jul 12 #343225 by redwine47
Reply from redwine47
I hope you are coping it is a terrible situation to be in, it can leave the most confident and capable of us feeling vulnerable . But don''t let this person control or dictate entitlement etc.

Do tell your solicitor? If you do not feel comfortable with ur solicitors you cld change to another... You can usually get 30min free advice before committing to pay for one.

I am going through similar situation ex froze account & cancelled cm & standing orders. Going through court & csa now & solicitor has arranged maintenance hearing with court in sept.

You may also be entitled to various benefits. CAB cld help you in this area.

Hopefully another wiki with experience in this area will be along soon.

Best regards.

  • humdrum
  • humdrum's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 Jul 12 #343236 by humdrum
Reply from humdrum
Quickest win will be applying for Child Support. This can come through quite quickly.

  • humdrum
  • humdrum's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 Jul 12 #343237 by humdrum
Reply from humdrum
Sorry, just realised you are still living in the marital home with your stbx. Don''t know how CSA works in this situation. Anyone?

  • downland
  • downland's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
15 Jul 12 #343244 by downland
Reply from downland
Hi, this might not be what you want to hear but will say it anyway

What concerns me is that you say you are scared of your stbx. What threat does he represent to you and your children?

You do not say if the threat is physical or physchological (never could spell that) - both are very real.

Hard though it is, if you have little income and FMH still offers a roof over your head, yours and your childrens safety has to come first and if it means leaving .........

And never be ashamed to ask for advice .... one thing you will find on this site is that there are many many people in a similar situation

There are other people on this site who can offer more practical advice and help on what finance is available and I am sure they will come forward.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.