A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Other ppl staying over as you are divorcing

  • bluecity
  • bluecity's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
20 Jul 12 #344371 by bluecity
Topic started by bluecity

I''m currently in a situation where I jointly own my home with my OH, we have agreed to divorce but have not yet filed for it.

She is saying 2 male friends of hers ( I dont know them) are staying over on Saturday night.

I have asked her not to do this as I''m not comfortable with it, she said there is nothing I can do. I said it puts me in an uncomfortable position in my own house and we''d both previously agreed to not put each other in such situations as its not fair.

Now if she goes ahead and does this without my consent I''m considering asking the police to come round and get them to leave.

I really need to know my rights, I can kinda of see both sides but I''d hope that if 1 party of a 50% ownership issue does not agree with something then it should not go ahead.

any advice or knowledge on this would be appreciated,

Thanks everyone.

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Jul 12 #344373 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
Short version: you are correct.

Long version. As co-owners, you and your wife both have the right to invite guests into the house, and you both have the right to ask guests to leave. So she could invite them in, and you could immediately ask them to leave. Taking this ad absurdum, the guests would be standing on the doorstep, being invited in by her and kicked out by you in an endless cycle, in out in out, until one of you relents. Obviously that will not happen in practice and the logical conclusion would be that either they get bored and wander off, or else tempers rise and the police are called for breach of the peace. If the police are called then (assuming you haven''t punched anyone etc!!), they will ask these guys to leave. They would not kick you out of your own home and the obvious way of restoring the peace is to ask these guys to go. So just keep your cool, stay calm but stand your ground. The law is on your side.

You should tell your wife that it is not acceptable and that you will not be allowing these guys into your home. That way if a situation does arise, she was pre-warned, and only has herself to blame.

  • bluecity
  • bluecity's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
20 Jul 12 #344376 by bluecity
Reply from bluecity
thanks Cookie you''re a star.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.