A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Help please,,,,re Legal Aid

  • Papillon6
  • Papillon6's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Jul 12 #345608 by Papillon6
Topic started by Papillon6
I have recently been granted my legal aid certificate and am finally moving forward now with my solicitor having paid out over a thousand pounds to my previous solicitor and didn''t really get anywhere.

I also applied for my child tax credits as these were stopped a few months ago and I needed to get my finances sorted before applying again. I have today found out that my tax credit award is considerably higher than I expected it to be (I now get both child and working tax credits) and according to the legal aid calculator I will now be above the legal aid limit - does this mean that legal aid will now be withdrawn or will I just be able to increase my monthly contribution. I am really concerned that if it is withdrawn, I won''t be able to afford my solicitor, even taking into acccount the tax credits.

Thanks in advance :S

  • redwine47
  • redwine47's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Jul 12 #345615 by redwine47
Reply from redwine47
Hi, I applied for legal aid one year ago was working part time temporary position on a basic salary but recieved both wtc,ctc. Was over the limit apparently so was not granted Legal Aid.

I am now unemployed, total income per month is £600 inc CB and CM!! I have now been granted legal aid but have to pay £180 per month contributions. Figures dont add up....scandelous.

You need to make sure you declare your change of circumstances to LSC, just in case or check with your solicitor.

  • Papillon6
  • Papillon6's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Jul 12 #345636 by Papillon6
Reply from Papillon6
Thanks for replying. It''s such a worry isn''t it, I hate all the form filling etc, I feel my head is buzzing full of figures 24/7...what makes it worse is that my STBX is an acccontant and will scrutinize everything on my form E, plus it is all going through the court and there''s no way I could get by without a solicitor.

I feel for you, like you say, your figures don''t add up. xx

  • amefbi
  • amefbi's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Jul 12 #345706 by amefbi
Reply from amefbi
Have ask for legal help as my only income is Dissability £298pm. Im respondent. He said he will pay all costs for divorce.He petioner and earn £58,000 yearly. I have 1st app solicotor in Aug to apply/confirm for help. I have heard that MY costs for this legal aid will have to be paid/claimed as ''''private client'''' cost when property is sold or divorce finalised. Can someone pls explain how this legal aid works, many thanks

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.