A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Your experience please

  • JustSuze
  • JustSuze's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Jul 12 #345633 by JustSuze
Topic started by JustSuze
I''m just preparing to tell my long term husband I don''t want to be with him anymore.
I''ve read some stuff on site and there seems to be mixed opinions on whether to move out or stay put.

My gut feel and preference is to get away ...pronto!
But before I make that call, I''d love to hear other people''s experiences good or bad, whether they stayed or left.

We are joint owners of the house with only 3 years left on the mortgage. Our kids are grown up and off hand. We both work.

I could afford to run the house alone if need be, but he couldn''t.
However, Im pretty sure he will fight to stay in the house come hell or high water.

The idea of having to come home to him every night fills me with dread. He''s not the sort of person who would respect my privacy in that scenario. I really want to make a Clean Break.
But i also need my fair share of the marital assets ASAP.

Having read some posts about the aftermath of cheating and lying i feel the need to state clearly. There is no one else!
I am not and have never cheated. I do have a conscience and some principles.

All helpful experience, advice, views welcome.

Thanks ...Suze

  • Papillon6
  • Papillon6's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Jul 12 #345637 by Papillon6
Reply from Papillon6
Hi Suze

From my experience, it''s quite challenging living under the same roof. We have been doing so for well over a year now whilst it all goes through Court. He doesn''t communicate with me direct only through emails and I''ve come to the stage where I just don''t read them any more. It''s hard when you come home and his car is there when you would so much prefer that he was out. My ex doesn''t do anything around the house in the way of housework etc so I feel I am constantly tidying up for his benefit not just mine and the kids. We don''t talk at all, so it''s awkward when we pass each other in the hallway for example or if I''m doing dinner and he makes a coffee....in the scheme of things this is all very minor stuff and I''m sure people on here go through a lot lot worse but all the minor things do add up....we''ve certainly had our share of full blown arguments but we got to the stage where we can just completely ignore each other now...it''s far from ideal but until all the ancillaries can be sorted through the court then I don''t see what the alternative is as he''s refused to go and there''s three children involved.

Hope you get some answers to help you make your decision x

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.