A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Spouse divorced me in another country...

  • PaulCa38
  • PaulCa38's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
27 Jul 12 #345652 by PaulCa38
Topic started by PaulCa38
Hi there,

I''ve been trying to trace my canadian wife for sometime as I was trying to get a divorce so I can eventually remarry here in the UK. I eventually found out that she actually applied for and was granted a divorce through the canadian courts. I can get a copy of the official divorce certificate from the courthouse in canada where the divorce was registered if need be. my question is where does that leave me here in the UK? I would suspect that that means that I am also officially no longer married and free to remarry here in the UK. Can anyone shed any light on this situation?


  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
27 Jul 12 #345653 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Your fine Paul just get proof of the divorce in Canada and your free to remarry, divorce in Canada is recognised over here.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11