A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Divorcing is all a new thing to me...all help welc

  • djc1001
  • djc1001's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
21 Aug 12 #350920 by djc1001
Topic started by djc1001
Ok,,new to here but here is my story.

I met online a white South African and she seemed amazing,,so loving and caring ,,so we met and all went well,,,talked about me moving there,,,but the chances of work for a white man there is almost impossible,,,and the only way to be together was to marry and her and her 14 year old daughter could come to England and we could move forward together.
I was a mug!!!
After the marriage I found out that she was an alcoholic with serious anger problems...it was horrendous. She was a real clever talker and had even a couple members of my family believing I was the drinker (luckily my parents know me well enough)
After 2 years marriage I had enough of her violent temper (I never raised my hand to her) and ended the relationship,,,stayed in the same house for 6 months but could take no more so I left Xmas 2009.
The strange thing is we do get on ok now and I want to start divorce proceedings to end contact and so that we can both get on with our lives a Clean Break.
I have no financial ties to her and there are no other things we need to mediate about. no children to worry about so it should be clean and easy. I have to say that I don''t have a lot of money,,,niether does she and divorce is an expensive thing to do.

please help,,,any advice is certainly welcome.
all questions answered.


  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
21 Aug 12 #350921 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Theres no reason it can`t be simple and cheap, cost wise this site offers a solicitor service for £179 and then you have court costs of £385, it takes 12-16 on average, and that is about all you need to know.

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Aug 12 #350924 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
djc1001 wrote:

The strange thing is we do get on ok now

Of course, she has got what she wanted all along. Does she have permanent leave to remain in this country? If not then I would prepare yourself for a battle. If it means she would have to go back to SA, I very much suspect she will fight tooth and nail against any divorce petition you file.

  • djc1001
  • djc1001's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 Aug 12 #351251 by djc1001
Reply from djc1001
Yes. She has permanent leave to stay now,,,that happened last year,,,so I think she has no need of me now,,,hahaha what a mug I was. I have learnt that lesson well.
I am a bit wary approaching her about the subject but once I know how it goes on here,,,and the costs I will contact her with the news,,haha

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.