A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

13 years on, still separated.

  • LadyGaga
  • LadyGaga's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Aug 12 #352215 by LadyGaga
Topic started by LadyGaga
I have been separated now for 13 years. Court proceedings started and were sisted in 2002 and a new solicitor has revised the record and I had hoped for a court date in December.

I note from looking at various sites that in Scotland where proceedings have started prior to 2006 the old rules will be used, five years separation and not two as post 2006. So far so good as I have 13 years in the bag. But the latest record and all my legal aid documents have been changed to two years. Does anyone see a problem with this please?

Also can''t use section 9 1c as the children are well into their twenties after all the delays. I have paid endowment mortgage and insurance on property all these years with no child maintenance until clawed back out of capital from ex in 2009. He is now claiming I have been cohabiting (untrue) to wriggle out of any unequal sharing of matrimonial assets. What a shambles.

  • flowerofscotland
  • flowerofscotland's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Aug 12 #352223 by flowerofscotland
Reply from flowerofscotland
Hi Lady Gaga,

Not sure if I can answer any of your questions.......but 13 years.....give me strength!!

Good luck to you, maybe the End Is Nigh?

Take care for now FoS x

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Aug 12 #352230 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Was your old solicitor a family law specialist? It sounds as though your new solicitor is a bit more proactive. Allowing for any increase in values it''s the assets held at the time of separation that are shared and cohabitation shouldn''t effect that even if you were cohabiting.

s9(1c) may no longer apply, but s9(1b) does so there should be fair account of any disadvantage you may have suffered in the interests of the family. Someone can be disadvantaged if during the marriage they gave up their job or changed to less well paid employment to fit around the children which means they lose out on salary increases, promotion prospects and pension contributions.

  • LadyGaga
  • LadyGaga's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
27 Aug 12 #352235 by LadyGaga
Reply from LadyGaga
Thanks for responding. The old Solicitor was allegedly a family specialist but I am appalled at the way the case was handled. The new partner is much more organised and is trying to rush things thru but I have lost so much over the years I have to succeed now.

What about the 2 years / 5 years on the legal aid cert? Any ideas? I have visions of the case collapsing because the wrong act is being quoted. I just don''t trust anyone these days.

Th FMH was valued in 2000 but since the law has changed in 2006 I understand that I have to accept a current valuation. It''s just so hard for someone who had to wait for 10 years for the CSA to act (yes, REALLY)but who carried on paying all the bills as they had no choice. Bitter? You betya!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.