A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

So divorce it is then.....

  • Kazzabell80
  • Kazzabell80's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
31 Aug 12 #353090 by Kazzabell80
Topic started by Kazzabell80
Took some legal advice earlier today and the solicitor asked me if I wanted to start proceedings. I told him that I was purely there for advice at that point.

That was until I saw STBX this afternoon and he told me that he wanted a divorce.

If I Petition him, will I be liable for the court costs?

He also said that CM payments will be approx £60 per month for two children...surely that can''t be right - he earns almost £26k pa. He says that he has that from a very reliable source (AKA mates down the pub/girlfriend).

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Aug 12 #353109 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
If you Petition him on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour you can claim costs from him. You will still be liable for those costs up to the point that your solicitor can recover these from him though.


  • PetalsInTheWind
  • PetalsInTheWind's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
31 Aug 12 #353123 by PetalsInTheWind
Reply from PetalsInTheWind
On that salary assuming 5% pension contributions CM payments approx £78 WEEKLY if less than 52 overnights a year
£67/week if overnights between 52 ands 103
£44/week between 156-174 per year overnights (shared care)
These are weekly amounts so his monthly figures seem wrong

  • Crumpled
  • Crumpled's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Aug 12 #353141 by Crumpled
Reply from Crumpled
HI Kazza I was sorry to read your post but I think it may save you heartache in the longer term.........my understanding is that if as other poster said you file on UB you can claim the costs from your OH.
As far as I am aware CM would be 20% of your OH income as you have two children ......lots of love..

  • Kazzabell80
  • Kazzabell80's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
01 Sep 12 #353167 by Kazzabell80
Reply from Kazzabell80
Thanks everyone. I had a feeling his figures were wrong.

It is the whole ''I think you''ll find that you''ll be lucky to get more than £60 a month'' line that really got to me.

Perhaps I didn''t really know this man at all and he is now showing his true colours.

I know that this is only the start of it and it is going to get much uglier especially when he actually realises the full financial force of his actions...perhaps as he pointed out, he should have left me before my diagnosis and shouldn''t have ''stayed with me because he felt sorry for me''.

Such a nice man. I don''t need him anymore and I am not all that sure if I actually want him anymore either.

  • Action
  • Action's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Sep 12 #353170 by Action
Reply from Action
He needs to think about what child maintenance is for!!!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.