A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Divorcing someone who is not a UK resident

  • Dazed
  • Dazed's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Sep 12 #353724 by Dazed
Topic started by Dazed
Dear all,

I am finally nearing the end of the road & am expecting to start the divorce/Consent Order process within a month. This has been held up by my ex but given that he is relocating to Qatar next month, he now seems to be giving this some priority... it clearly suits him to do this now!!

So, does it make things more difficult if he lives overseas? We are all agreed on everything, it''s amicable & I will be using the wikivorce service. Can these things be done over email if necessary? I can''t bear the thought of having to wait much longer to be honest.

Can anyone reassure me? :S


Dazed .x

  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Sep 12 #353796 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
if your ex is cooperating, it shouldn''t be a problem.

The Petition can be posted to him, and he will need to post back the acknowledgment, so this will be slightly slower than if you were both in the UK.

If you act now, you could get the petition issued and served before he leaves, which means you don''t have to worry about serviing him overseas. It may also be worth getting a conent order drawn up to reflect the finacial agreement you''ve reached, now. You can''t send it to court until your divorce reaches the Decree Nisi stage, but there is no reason not to get it drawn up, agreed and signed now. (not least because it will be easier for him to access legal advice when he''s still here)

Fnally, you may find that it pays to work with a solicitor rather than an online service in this particualr instance, as they are likely to have more experience at dealing woth non-standard situations and to be better equipped to sort things out if things don''t go smoothly.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.