A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Please Leave

  • Yorkslad12
  • Yorkslad12's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
05 Sep 12 #354026 by Yorkslad12
Topic started by Yorkslad12
Hi All,

i am just after some advice, my wife of 14 years as asked me to leave as she is unsure what she wants and thinks the marriage to be over "sort of" as she puts it and she still expects me to contiune the same level of money in to the home as i do (75% of the living costs of the house) at mo

we have a mortgage and two kids, there will be no problem on getting access to the children sothat not a issue.

My problem is i dont know what i will be exactly responsible for paying until every thing is settled, the bit of information i have got is half the mortgage and CM is this true and at the mo can she make me pay anymore?

hope someone can help :)

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Sep 12 #354028 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
Hi the advise given is dont move out, but if you dont think this is an option. I would suggest you work out how much cm you would have to pay. The cost of renting and providing for yourself and then see how much is left over.

Personally I think CM and at least half of the mortgage is reasonable, but you would need to consider how much income she would get including any benefits she would be entitled to and compare with how much you would have after housing costs and cm are paid.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
05 Sep 12 #354031 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Answered in some length here;


All I can add is be sure to find out where you stand before you decide to move out.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.