A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.


  • stresseduk
  • stresseduk's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
14 Sep 12 #355776 by stresseduk
Topic started by stresseduk
I am really worried.can anyone tell me what happens at fh and how i am to approach it alone without a solicitor. How do i prepare.Will i be walked over as x has solicitor. thanks

  • Serendipity100
  • Serendipity100's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
05 Oct 12 #359531 by Serendipity100
Reply from Serendipity100
See you have had no answers: are you sure that hearing is not FDA, not FH as you say?

  • anna200
  • anna200's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
06 Oct 12 #359548 by anna200
Reply from anna200
you need to know your financial position, income needs and how you and your children can be housed. if there are any inconsistencies with your partners financial disclosure you will need to submit any evidence before the hearing . more importantly you should be clear on arrangements for your dependent children, this will also inform your housing and income needs. if your ex has a solicitor write to them and let them know you do not have a solicitor and provide your current income details as you say this was incorrectly presented at FDR and ask if there is any further information needed from you . have you received any sort of open proposal for settlement? and do you have an idea of what you would like to achieve?

basically you both get to present your case/facts to the judge, who will in accordance with the law will decide on any issues which are contested. ( look at section 25 matrimonial c act criteria which details the legal considerations) so its worth spending time looking at budgets and what is reasonable for both of you . in my experience x''s solicitor was a pretty slippery character, but don''t be intimidated, do your homework and if you are honest and fair you need not be scared. if you don''t understand anything don''t be afraid to ask. the main priority, quite rightly is welfare of the children. if it''s got to a FDR then you clearly don''t agree on certain issues...identify the issues and consider what his argument may be and how you may counter this and any evidence you have to support your position...good luck

  • cliasmol£7
  • cliasmol£7's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
06 Oct 12 #359558 by cliasmol£7
Reply from cliasmol£7
So sorry, I had to sack 1st Solicitor. now got a nice girl who is relatively cheap and a decent person, you really do need a solicitor if not you will not what you are entiled to

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11