A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

One party, now lives abroad

  • glenntullett@gmail.com
  • glenntullett@gmail.com's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Sep 12 #356643 by glenntullett@gmail.com
Topic started by glenntullett@gmail.com
We got married in the UK in 1996. I have moved to mainland Europe. Does this throw up any problems?
If so, could I use my parents'' UK address.
Thank you.

  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Sep 12 #356686 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
your ex could divorce you, in the UK.

If you wish to issue proceedings, you would have to set out why you think the UK courts have jurisdiction - see notes here hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfind...s/d008-notes-eng.pdf

it sounds as though you may fit into the category that:

"The Petitioner and Respondent were last habitually resident in England and Wales and the [Petitioner*] [or] [the Respondent*] still reside there"

It would also potentially be open to you to issue fproceedigns in the country where you are currently living.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11